The American Republic

A mock government site designed to give political fanatics, not-so-fanatical-but-politically-knowledgeable, and politically interested people a place to learn about government and experience it firsthand (well, sort of).

You are not connected. Please login or register

ProvGov: a test Mock Government

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:02 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera
I actually have an amendment to this bill the parts changed are in italics.

AMERICAN PROVISIONAL GOVERNMENT
Committee: Primary Committee
Principal Author: Representative Samuel Garcia
Bill No: H.R. 4
Delegation:
Title of Bill: An Act to cut Budget Deficit
BE IT ENACTED BY THE AMERICAN PROVISIONAL GOVERNMENT

Preamble: Since our budget is now in deficit of $1.5 billion dollars due to HR 2, or "An Act to Restore Order", I propose the following:

Section 1: Any part or section of any future bill must not include any item that does not adhere to the original purpose or Preamble and/or that will produce monetary loss to the institution of government will be struck out.

Section 2: An businesslike organization shall be created to invest remaining resources for profit directly for government.

Section 3: This bill shall be in effect 2 days after passage.

77ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator
Madam Speaker, I agree with the amendment. However, I move that we further amend it to be the following:

Delegation:

Preamble: Since our budget is now in deficit of $1.5 billion dollars due to HR 2, or "An Act to Restore Order", I propose the following:

Section 1: Any part or section of any future bill must not include any item that does not adhere to the original purpose or Preamble and/or that will produce monetary loss to the institution of government will be struck out.

Section 2: An businesslike organization shall be created to invest remaining resources for profit directly for government.

Section 3: In order to further cut down on unnecessary expenses, all monetary compensation for the services of the Federal Congressmen to this nation shall be frozen until this bill is repealed, this section is amended by a future bill, or a new Constitution is adopted by the Nation.

Section 4: This bill shall be in effect 2 days after passage.

Last edited by Christopher S. on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

http://mockgovamerica.forumotion.com

78ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:42 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera
I agree, motion seconded.

Debate shall proceed....

79ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator
*Remember, we cannot address other congressmen directly, we must direct our speeches to the Speaker*

Madam Speaker, as leaders of this nation, how can we sit here in opulence while our fellow citizens wallow in unemployment, anarchy and poverty? Are we gods to deserve tribute from our subjects, just because we are their governmental leaders? Who are we to think that we deserve to leech off of our citizenry when many, if not most, of them are worrying about where their next meal will come from or if they will wake up the next morning to watch their families executed by anarchist thugs?

This is something we all can agree on, both on the left and right wing. None of us believe that we deserve to live like gods while our people are being constantly worried by the harsh realities of our present time. Thus, I am not worried about opposition to this bill because of this issue.

Also, if another honorable member of Congress believes that we should block this bill because we should not limit our spending to merely military purposes and that we should start spending on supporting social security, welfare, or some other project, I must ask a question. How can we defend spending on non-military projects when we are not only running a deficit, but we are running one in the midst of near-collapse? I am not saying that we will collapse, for I know that we shall make it out of this mess even stronger than before. However, if we want to start spending our money on non-essential things, we will only be asking for internal collapse.

If the members of Congress wish to spend money on welfare, internal development, housing, social security, or whatever else is non-essential, can they not wait until our nation can sustain more spending?

This is all I ask of my fellow members of Congress, please do not start spending on the unnecessary projects (even if they may be very beneficial projects) until our nation stabilizes.

80ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:52 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera
Does anyone have a speech or response to make to this?

NRC's included...

81ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:36 pm

gmx0

gmx0
High Moderator
High Moderator

Californian Republican NRC:
"I find the language of the bill not detailed enough. For example, the bill does not state the extent of the powers of the business-like entity and organization."

Texas Democrat NRC:
"Do you not know that Pork, which this bill is against of, is what keeps us Reps elected here in Congress? No pork, no votes, people."

http://www.neogenerationgames.webs.com

82ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:16 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator
gmx0 wrote:
"I find the language of the bill not detailed enough. For example, the bill does not state the extent of the powers of the business-like entity and organization."

Texas Democrat NRC:
"Do you not know that Pork, which this bill is against of, is what keeps us Reps elected here in Congress? No pork, no votes, people."

Madam Speaker, the honorable Republican Representative from California is correct. I would be glad if the Author of this bill could amend it so that this issue of vagueness may be addressed.

To the honorable Democratic Representative from Texas, I believe that both of us can agree that doing the right thing and strengthening our country is a much greater vote-getter than bribery.

83ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:08 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera
Christopher S. wrote:
gmx0 wrote:

I had thought of that but I wasn't coming up with the necessary restrictions off-hand.
In a way it seems like too much power to give the government. What you're looking at creating is a self-sufficient government without the people. If you make the government able to get rid of the people then what? Having the revenue dependent on the people is one way to ensure that the democratic elements will run well with less corruption. As long as the people know that they are the ones paying for government they will continue to be involved in their government.

Texas Democrat NRC:

Madam Speaker, the honorable Republican Representative from California is correct. I would be glad if the Author of this bill could amend it so that this issue of vagueness may be addressed.

Indeed! The chair allows for another revision.

To the honorable Democratic Representative from Texas, I believe that both of us can agree that doing the right thing and strengthening our country is a much greater vote-getter than bribery.

* makes a note : "I need to tell that 'good ole' boy' either to get outta my state or change his ways.* Mad Smile

84ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:36 am

gmx0

gmx0
High Moderator
High Moderator
Just wanted to remind you all the purpose of the ProGov... to test Government capability:
Major:
1. Election of the Speaker of the House - Complete
2. Test Legislative Process (proposing bills, [small] committees, floor action, law enactment) - Complete
3. Test Legislation Effects (implementation, bureaucratic entropy) - Complete
4. Budget and Taxation - UNFINISHED

Minor:
1. News Media - Complete
2. Lobbyists + Lobbying - UNFINISHED

85ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator
Well, you should send in the lobbyists (or have them PM certain Congressmen on issues).

Also, we can begin writing a budget and deciding the tax rate. Could you post the number of citizens in the nation and the average income per person?

86ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:44 pm

gmx0

gmx0
High Moderator
High Moderator
Christopher S. wrote:Well, you should send in the lobbyists (or have them PM certain Congressmen on issues).

Also, we can begin writing a budget and deciding the tax rate. Could you post the number of citizens in the nation and the average income per person?
$49,445 is the average

314,181,000 in population; 114,825 households

87ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:21 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera
Delegation:

Section 3: In order to further cut down on unnecessary expenses, all monetary compensation for the services of the Federal Congressmen to this nation shall be frozen until this bill is repealed, this section is amended by a future bill, or a new Constitution is adopted by the Nation.

Section 4: This businesslike organization shall be limited to an investment fund of the amount of the total salaries of 1/4 of the House of Representatives. The government will only be allowed that much if it can spend it all in one year on non-welfare government programs. It may also be spent on defense and if there is no way to spend it without growing the government in unnecessary bureaucracy it will be refunded to the people directly.

Section 5: This bill shall be in effect 2 days after passage.

I open this to one final discussion and then we will come to a vote on this.

88ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:25 pm

gmx0

gmx0
High Moderator
High Moderator
NRCs:
General consensus of against not being paid. Some have walked out. The more conservative NRCs have stayed.

89ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:44 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera
I address the House....
Ladies and Gentlemen,
The idea behind freezing payment for Congressmen is for the good of nation in order to promote an efficient and quick Congress; so they are the least expense to the tax payer while getting their job done well. This provides the necessary motivation that everyone needs from time to time.

I urge that you please return to the floor of this House to cast your vote in favor of this bill in order to show the good citizenry that you are behind them and their financial good and are willing to demonstrate your design as a public servant.
Thank you.

If there are no more thoughts on H.R. 4 I call the House to a vote.

BTW I added an extra section in Section 4 of the bill.

90ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:06 pm

gmx0

gmx0
High Moderator
High Moderator
Aye.

NRCs:
Though the ones who walked out are a bit annoyed, some agree to the compromise. The ones who have walked out may or may not be present for the vote.

91ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:15 am

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator
Aye.

92ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:14 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera
Bill H.R.4 is passed. 3 Ayes 0 No's

93ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator
Well, in an effort to save time, sure, we can pass it. Technically we need Sam to figure out the NRC votes.

94ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:28 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera
Christopher S. wrote:Well, in an effort to save time, sure, we can pass it. Technically we need Sam to figure out the NRC votes.

True, however can we use that thingy he was suggesting?

95ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator
sky-opera wrote:
Christopher S. wrote:Well, in an effort to save time, sure, we can pass it. Technically we need Sam to figure out the NRC votes.

Yes, but I don't know how. Also, my computer blocks it (parental controls).

96ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:35 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera
Christopher S. wrote:
sky-opera wrote:

Okay, in that case, I'd have to try.

97ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:33 pm

gmx0

gmx0
High Moderator
High Moderator
sky-opera wrote:
Christopher S. wrote:
sky-opera wrote:

Fine, I'll do it. But I'll send a copy directly, probably through CP! Forum attachment.

EDIT: Chris, you deleted your forum account??? (They rewrote the rules, btw)

Also:
48/95 Ayes and 47/95 Nays

passed by one vote!

98ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:16 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera
gmx0 wrote:
sky-opera wrote:
Christopher S. wrote:
sky-opera wrote:

Fine, I'll do it. But I'll send a copy directly, probably through CP! Forum attachment.

Also:

passed by one vote!

Thank you Sam! I appreciate that! I got it and will learn how to use it!

Congratulations everyone Bill H.R. 4 passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator
gmx0 wrote:

Also:

passed by one vote!
My account was frozen by the Administrator, not in accordance with what I wanted. However, it worked out well, since it gave me more time for other things.

100ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 4 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:08 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera
I hereby call this from the Clerks Desk to be open for debate:

Principal Author: Representative Sky-opera
Bill No: H.R. 5
Delegation:
Title of Bill: A Finalizing Act for the Test Gov. Regarding Taxation.

Preamble: Since this is the remaining element the good Representative from Ohio
has declared, has not been tested for the Test government; I propose the following:

Section 1: Federal taxes shall be levied to all citizens of these united provinces in equal
proportions. There shall be a flat taxation percentage for all legitimate income earners. Meaning those on welfare will not be taxed and neither will retirement funds and savings accounts and all banking accounts will not be taxed.

Section 2: There shall be no ongoing property taxes. Only when the property is sold will there be a tax.

Section 3: There shall be no inter-province taxes on imports and exports through the several provinces.

Section 4: Food shall not be taxed.

Section 5: Items resold with the exception of land property shall not be taxed.

Section 6: New items can be taxed.

Section 7: Taxations should be used in moderation only to support the necessities of running the government. This act shall take effect immediately after passage.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum