The American Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Republic

A mock government site designed to give political fanatics, not-so-fanatical-but-politically-knowledgeable, and politically interested people a place to learn about government and experience it firsthand (well, sort of).

You are not connected. Please login or register

ProvGov: a test Mock Government

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator

Heather M wrote:
I told Karis this, but I want to let you all know as well...I'll be gone all of this week at a family camp with my church, so I'll be unable to participate in the mock government until next week, probably. I'm so sorry for my absence, but please continue without me. Smile
Very well. We shall miss you, and I pray that you shall have a blessed time this week!

https://mockgovamerica.forumotion.com

27ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator

Since the roll has been called, I hereby open up nominations for Speaker of the House.
Any nominations?

28ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:29 am

gmx0

gmx0
High Moderator
High Moderator

I nominate Sky Opera!

http://www.neogenerationgames.webs.com

29ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:32 am

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator

Does Sky-opera accept the nomination?

30ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:56 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera

gmx0 wrote:I nominate Sky Opera!

Christopher S. wrote:Does Sky-opera accept the nomination?

First,... Thank you Clerk of the House Pro Tempore, for the nomination.
I appreciate it and am honored.

I would like, however, to learn what is required of the position of Speaker of the House before I make my decision.
Can someone please simply give me a quick break-down for the position for this government?

Thank you!

31ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:59 am

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator

"The Speaker is responsible for ensuring that the House passes legislation supported by the majority party. In pursuing this goal, the Speaker may use his or her power to determine when each bill reaches the floor. They also chair the majority party's House steering committee....

The Speaker may designate any Member of the House to act as Speaker pro tempore and preside over the House....

To speak, members must seek the presiding officer's recognition. The presiding officer may call on members as they please, and may therefore control the flow of debate. The presiding officer also rules on all points of order, but such rulings may be appealed to the whole House. The Speaker is responsible for maintaining decorum in the House, and may order the Sergeant-at-Arms to enforce the rules....

The Speaker selects nine of the thirteen members of the powerful Committee on Rules, subject to the approval of the conference of the majority party. (The leadership of the minority party chooses remaining four members.) Furthermore, the Speaker appoints all members of select committees and conference committees. Moreover, when a bill is introduced, the Speaker determines which committee shall consider it. As a member of the House, the Speaker is entitled to participate in debate and to vote but, by custom, only does so in exceptional circumstances. Ordinarily, the Speaker votes only when their vote would be decisive, and on matters of great importance (such as constitutional amendments)....

Because joint sessions and joint meetings of both houses of Congress are held in the Hall of the House of Representatives, the Speaker presides over all such joint sessions and meetings....

The Speaker is further responsible for overseeing the officers of the House: the Clerk, the Sergeant-at-Arms, the Chief Administrative Officer, and the Chaplain. The Speaker can dismiss any of these officers....

Finally, the Speaker continues to represent voters in his or her congressional district."
(wikipedia)

Anyway, I doubt that much of these powers will be used (such as committees and such), since we are still rather small. However, you would control the flow of debate on the floor, and decide when bills enter the floor (although I believe that the House members can override your decision with a 2/3rds vote, which would bring the bill to the floor immediately).

32ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:28 pm

gmx0

gmx0
High Moderator
High Moderator

I shall retake the chair after the Skype Call. *nods*

33ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:55 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera

Thank you, Christopher for the office description.

I accept the nomination for Speaker of the House.

Currently however, I don't have a party so I guess I can assume that what ever party has the most votes is the majority, and I am therefore a member and will remain Speaker while my party has the majority or until the next elections.

I look forward to this experience! sunny

34ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator

gmx0 wrote:I shall retake the chair after the Skype Call. *nods*
Very well.
sky-opera wrote:
I accept the nomination for Speaker of the House.
Because there are no more nominations that could really be made, I hereby open voting for the office of Speaker.

All in favor of giving Sky-Opera the position of Speaker say, "Aye". All opposed say, "Nay".

Voting shall close at the discretion of the Chair.

35ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:35 am

gmx0

gmx0
High Moderator
High Moderator

Aye

Well, I guess I will retake the chair for a moment after the call, just until to introduce the new House Speaker. I think.

36ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:40 am

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator

gmx0 wrote:Aye

Well, I guess I will retake the chair for a moment after the call, just until to introduce the new House Speaker. I think.
Alright.

37ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator

The voting is hereby closed. Sky-opera, you are now the Speaker of the House. I give up the chair to the Speaker.

38ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:44 pm

gmx0

gmx0
High Moderator
High Moderator

Christopher S. wrote:The voting is hereby closed. Sky-opera, you are now the Speaker of the House. I give up the chair to the Speaker.
YAY! Party! santa

To all:
Make sure to come up with some bills to vote and pass. *nods*

Budget: $1 Billion

Order of priority of business
The House generally adheres to the following order of priority as outlined in the House Rules but variations exist to this order as a result of House Rules or parliamentary rules that take precedence. The House may suspend this order and conduct itself as it sees fit consistent with House Rules and with Parliamentary procedure.
1) Prayer by the Chaplain.
2) Reading and approval of the Journal.
3) The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.
4) Correction of reference of public bills.
5) Disposal of business on the Speaker's table.
6) Unfinished business as provided in rules.
7) Consideration of bills called up by committees.
Cool State of the Union
9) Orders of the day.

Introducing a bill
Any member of the House can introduce a bill at any time, while the House is in session, by placing (or most likely having a page place) a signed copy of the bill in the "hopper" at the side of the Clerk's desk on the Rostrum. Other members of the House may co-sponsor any bill to be introduced in the House by a member. These co-sponsors are not required to sign the bill and are considered under House Rules to be "original co-sponsors" and "additional co-sponsors" depending on whether they co-sponsored the bill at the time it was introduced or added their names to the bill after its introduction.
After the Clerk of the House receives the bill it is then assigned a legislative number, enrolled in the House Journal and printed in the Congressional Record and the Speaker of the House refers the bill to the Committee(s) with jurisdiction by sending the bill to the Office of the Chairman of the committee(s), and the Clerk of the Committee will add the bill to the Committee's calendar. The Speaker designates one of these committees as a "primary committee" with primary jurisdiction and responsibility for the bill and all other committee(s) are considered "additional committees" and the Speaker may impose time limits on these committee(s) if she deems it appropriate and traditionally does so if the primary committee has reported out a version of the bill to the full House.

39ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:47 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera

The House shall now come to Order.

Order having been attained, we will have a prayer by the representative from California.

The House will dispense with numbers 2,3,4 and 6 in House protocol as they are currently irrelevant.

I have decided to form committees before opening the floor. First, shall be established the Primary Committee which shall be the most powerful committee. The second committee will be called the Primaries' Aid Committee. This committee will consist of some members of the Primary Committee who work double in addition to other representatives from the rest of parliament or other committees. This design is in order to relieve some of the larger loads which the Primary Committee will eventually be dealing with.

We currently have two bills waiting to be determined.
Bill #1 and Bill # H.R. 2

I am immediately opening a room to debate/discussion in the Primary Committee of the bill H.R. 2.
However, if I understand your bill, good representative of Ohio, are you wanting to put a stop to abortion?
In any case I also open another room to debate/discussion the Bill 1 in the Primaries' Aid Committee, because if my above thinking is correct I believe it holds a very important issue to be dealt with as soon as possible.

Reasoning for forming committees: I find it difficult not to deal with the issue of the legality of abortion right away. So though they may be small committees will allow both bills.

Appointees to Primary Committee:
Representative Christopher S.
Representative Samuel X.
Representative Jon David
Representative Heather M.
Representative Sky-opera
Bill: H.R.2

Appointees to Primaries' Aid Committee:
Representative Samuel X.
Representative Heather M.
Representative Sky-opera
Representative Ohioan Democrat NRC
Bill : H.R.1

Let Debate begin.

Last edited by sky-opera on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

40ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:57 pm

gmx0

gmx0
High Moderator
High Moderator

*Note: the Bill is from an Ohioan Democrat NRC, not I. But I shall answer for him, as a role playing, I guess.
So meaning, there will be liberal bills, too. This is the first.

Non-descript Ohioan Democrat NRC replies:
"Hardly!" (looks around in the conservative-led Congress) "Uh, well, the bill only calls for federal control over healthcare concerning pregnancy and related situations thereof. This includes abortion, yes. Any state laws concerning abortion are superseded by the federal government in this bill.".

41ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:03 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera

gmx0 wrote:*Note: the Bill is from an Ohioan Democrat NRC, not I. But I shall answer for him, as a role playing, I guess.
So meaning, there will be liberal bills, too. This is the first.

Non-descript Ohioan Democrat NRC replies:
"Hardly!" (looks around in the conservative-led Congress) "Uh, well, the bill only calls for federal control over healthcare concerning pregnancy and related situations thereof. This includes abortion, yes. Any state laws concerning abortion are superseded by the federal government in this bill.".

Thank you for that clarification from the Ohioan Dem. NRC. I thought I was reading it wrong but I understand that it is for abortion. However, the floor is still open to your bill.

42ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:47 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator

Madam Speaker, because the Bills were committed to their separate committees, debate cannot resume on the floor of this House. Once the Bills come out of Committee, then they may be brought to the floor.
In accordance with this, I have created separate threads for the Committees.

I also ask that the Ohioan NRC who designed H.R.1 (as it should technically be called) be appointed to the Primaries' Aid Committee.

43ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:34 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera

Christopher S. wrote:Madam Speaker, because the Bills were committed to their separate committees, debate cannot resume on the floor of this House. Once the Bills come out of Committee, then they may be brought to the floor.
Thank you Representative from Montana.
These bills will both probably stay in committee, and I will continue to add others to them.

I also ask that the Ohioan NRC who designed H.R.1 (as it should technically be called) be appointed to the Primaries' Aid Committee.

Indeed. Ohioan NRC is added to Primaries' Aid Committee.

Let committees meet and debate etc. and then let one Rep. from each committee let me know when they are ready for a vote.

44ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:07 am

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator

sky-opera wrote:
Christopher S. wrote:Madam Speaker, because the Bills were committed to their separate committees, debate cannot resume on the floor of this House. Once the Bills come out of Committee, then they may be brought to the floor.
These bills will both probably stay in committee, and I will continue to add others to them.

Let committees meet and debate etc. and then let one Rep. from each committee let me know when they are ready for a vote.

Madam Speaker, I may be gone until this Wednesday. I do not know for sure, but if I do not get on 'til then, you will know.

I pray that it will not impede voting and such, so you all may continue without me.

45ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:51 am

sky-opera

sky-opera

Christopher S. wrote:
sky-opera wrote:

Madam Speaker, I may be gone until this Wednesday. I do not know for sure, but if I do not get on 'til then, you will know.

I pray that it will not impede voting and such, so you all may continue without me.

Thank you Rep. from Montana for making notification of your pending absence. We will most likely proceed to discuss and make changes to your bill and the other one and then move on to voting.

46ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:48 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera

Because we are in committee the bills will be debated in the
Primary Committee thread and the Primary's Aid Committee thread.

So please post your thoughts there! Smile

47ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator

Madam Speaker, I am back from my short recess. I shall enter debate shortly.

48ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:14 am

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator

Madam Speaker, I ask that a Committee be organized to look over H.R.3. I also ask that H.R.2 be brought to the floor immediately. We are running out of time to deal with these issues. If we do not move now, I fear we shall be too late.

49ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:34 pm

sky-opera

sky-opera

Christopher S. wrote:Madam Speaker, I ask that a Committee be organized to look over H.R.3. I also ask that H.R.2 be brought to the floor immediately. We are running out of time to deal with these issues. If we do not move now, I fear we shall be too late.

I call the Provisional Government to order and the bill H.R. 2 to a vote. Here it is transferred from committee:
PROVISIONAL GOVERNMENT
Committee: Primary Committee
Principal Author: Representative Christopher S.
Bill No: H.R. 2
Delegation:
Title of Bill: An Act to Restore Order

BE IT ENACTED BY THE PROVISIONAL GOVERNMENT

Preamble: Where as this Nation is just coming out of Anarchy and is still in a dire state, and since Anarchists have recently been creating chaos in Wisconsin, and since the local Law Enforcement officials are not able to quell the violence, and since the violence is a grave threat to the life of this nation,
SECTION 1: This act may be cited as, "Restoration Act".
SECTION 2: The Writ of Habeus Corpus shall be suspended.
SECTION 3: The Department of Homeland Security shall be given the ability to--
Sub-SECTION A: Send Military forces to quell riots and any violence that the local Law Enforcement cannot effectively deal with, at the request of the State Governor.
Sub-SECTION B: Appoint Generals to lead such forces.
Sub-SECTION C: Establish Military courts to prosecute and punish any violent criminals which they capture. The punishment shall be--
(A) Imprisonment up until the powers in this bill are revoked.
SECTION 4: If the Department of Homeland Security wishes to give the death penalty to a criminal they have captured, they must bring the case to the appropriate State Criminal Court. The Court shall decide the guilt of the detainee and determine if the death penalty shall be applied.
SECTION 5: A grant of 50 million dollars shall be given to each State Governor. This grant may be used only for strengthening the Law Enforcement of each state.
SECTION 6: H. R. 3200, known as "America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009", is hereby repealed.
SECTION 7: Federal spending upon anything other than the Departments of Homeland Security, Defense, the Treasury, Justice, Commerce, and Energy, is hereby frozen until this bill is repealed. All funding shall be diverted to the above-mentioned Departments.
SECTION 8: All forms of Abortion shall be illegal in this Nation.
Sub-SECTION A: Abortion shall be defined as: any interference in a pregnancy to destroy or "prevent" pregnancy.
Sub-SECTION B: Abortion shall be punished in the same way murder is punished. This shall be according to the laws in place in the several states.
Sub-SECTION C: Any laws about abortion which are contrary to this bill are hereby repealed.
SECTION 9: This bill shall go into effect 2 days after passage.

All in favor say aye all opposed say no.

50ProvGov: a test Mock Government - Page 2 Empty Re: ProvGov: a test Mock Government Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Christopher S.

Christopher S.
Administrator
Administrator

Aye!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum